Psychology & Ethnic Studies 167
Library Research for Psychological Development of Black Children
- Library Catalog: Scotty - Search for books, journals, and more at UCR ...
- Melvyl Catalog - Search and Request books, journals, and more from other UC Libraries...
- Google Books - are the books you're interested in available to preview online?
- PsycINFO - Scholarly articles, books chapters, reports & dissertations, many with abstracts; Coverage 1806-present
- PsycARTICLES - Full-text articles from journals published by the American Psychological Association, the APA Educational Publishing Foundation, the Canadian Psychological Association, and Hogrefe & Huber; Coverage: 1987 - present [unless otherwise noted]
- ArticleFirst via OCLC contains bibliographic citations describing items listed on the table of contents pages of more than 16,000 journals in science, technology, medicine, social science, business, the humanities, and popular culture
- JSTOR - Generally does not include most recent 3-5 years worth of articles. Read Me First
- Project MUSE - Provides full text, subscription access to current content from scholarly journals in the humanities and social sciences.
- Ethnic Newswatch - Full-text from over 200 newspapers, magazines and journals of the ethnic, minority, and native press; Coverage 1990-present; some earlier materials.
- New York Times via Academic-LexisNexis
- New York Times (1999-current) via ProQuest
- Academic Search Complete - Broad scholarly, multi-disciplinary database with many full text articles; Coverage 1984-present
- ERIC - Education journal articles and ERIC microfiche documents, most with abstracts, some full-text; Coverage 1966-present
- Education Full-Text - is a bibliographic database that indexes and abstracts articles of at least one column in length from English-language periodicals and yearbooks published in the United States and elsewhere. English-language books relating to education published in 1995 or later are also indexed; Coverage 1983-present
- PubMed@UCR - Citations from more than 4,300 international biomedical journals covering the fields of medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, and the preclinical sciences;
Coverage 1966 - present
- Social Science Citation Index (aka Web of Science) - Articles in all social sciences; plus citation searching for articles that cite known authors or works, most with abstracts; Coverage 1900-present
- Social Services Abstracts indexes and abstracts articles in the fields of community development; crisis intervention; evaluation research; the family and social welfare; gerontology; policy, planning and forecasting; poverty and homelessness; professional issues in social work; social development; social work education; support groups/networks; violence, abuse and neglect; and welfare services; Coverage 1980-present
- Sociological Abstracts indexes and abstracts articles in the international literature in sociology and related disciplines in the social and behavioral sciences; Coverage 1952-present
- African American Newspapers: the 19th Century
- New York Times (Historical) via ProQuest
- Chicago Defender (Historical) see Black Studies Center
- Daily Defender (Historical) see Black Studies Center
- Black Studies Center - A fully cross-searchable gateway to historical and current material for researching the past, present and future of African-Americans, the wider African Diaspora, and Africa itself. It includes scholarly essays, periodical articles, historical newspaper articles, images, video clips, a detailed timeline, and more from the following resources: Schomburg Studies on the Black Experience, International Index to Black Periodicals (IIBP) Full Text (1902-1990, 1998- ), The Chicago Defender historical backfile (1909-1975), and Black Literature Index (1827-1940).
- Oxford African American Studies Center - Bringing together the authority of Oxford reference sources and the work of over 4000 international scholars, this grand collection features:
articles, primary sources, images, maps, and charts & tables and biographies.
Reference Books:Encyclopedia of African American History, 1896 to the present: from the age of segregation to the twenty-first century - 5 volumes; see also Oxford African American Studies Center for online version.
Handbook of Psychology - 10 volumes
Encyclopedia of African-American Culture and History: the Black experience in the Americas. 6 volumes
Encyclopedia of Black Studies
Education and Sociology: an encyclopedia
Encyclopedia of African American Education - 2 volumes
- Google Scholar
- Rand California via RAND [Statistics]
- Government Documents - U.S. Government Printing Office FDsys
- SearchUSA.gov - U.S. Government's Offical Web Search
Bishop, R. S. (2007). Free Within Ourselves: The development of African American children's literature. Westport, Conn: Greenwood Press. [Book] Scotty Record
Markowitz, G. E., & Rosner, D. (1996). Children, race, and power: Kenneth and Mamie Clark's Northside Center. Charlottesville: University Press of Virginia. [Book] Melyvl Record
- Bergner, G. (2009). Black Children, White Preference: Brown v. Board, the Doll Tests, and the Politics of Self-Esteem. American Quarterly, 61, 299-332. doi:10.1353/aq.0.0070 [Article] via UC-eLinks
- Kelch-Oliver, K. (2011). The Experiences of African American Grandmothers in Grandparent-Headed Families. Family Journal, 19, 73-82. doi:10.1177/1066480710388730 [Article] via UC-eLinks
- American Psychological Association, Task Force on Resilience and Strength in Black Children and Adolescents. (2008). Resilience in African American children and adolescents: A vision for optimal development. Washington, DC: Author. Retrieved from http://www.apa.org/pi/families/resources/resiliencerpt.pdf [Internet]
- Michael Yonezawa, Psychology Librarian, Rivera Library
Phone: (951) 827-2896
- Refine Your Topic
- Keywords and Synonyms
- Identify synonyms and keywords that describe your topic
- Don't be literal ~ try variant word forms using truncation (e.g., *, #, !, $)
- Try different searches by mixing and matching different search terms
- Check subject headings
- Use filters and limits to refine your results
- Scan the references
- Has the work been cited?
Last modified: 12/16/2014 4:10 PM by J. Mason