Scotty is the catalog for the UCR Libraries. Use Scotty to find books by topic, title, or author OR to identify if the Library owns a particular magazine or journal.
- Search by keyword for materials on your topic.
- To retrieve variations of a word use (*)
example: immigra* retrieves immigrant, immigrate, immigration, etc.
- Remember, a "subject" search must use official "subject headings". Most subject terms can be subdivided by name of country/region/etc.
- Refine your search by using Subject Headings
Academic Search Complete - A scholarly database covering nearly all academic areas of study, includes newspaper, magazine, and academic journals. Includes full text of over 5,300 journals, 4,600 of which are peer-reviewed with links to HTML and PDF formats.
America History and Life - Includes scholarly articles, reviews, dissertations, and collections in U.S. and Canadian history from pre-history to present, most with abstracts and some full-text; 1964-present
Historical Abstracts - Scholarly articles, books, dissertations, and collections in world history (excluding US and Canada) from 1450 to modern times, most with abstracts and some full-text; 1954-present
Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals - Covers architecture and related disciplines; 1934 - current, with selective coverage back to 1741.
If you would like to find newspaper articles that offer first-hand reports of an event, person, or time try using historical newspaper databases such as the New York Times and Los Angeles Times.
- Chicago Tribune (historical), 1849-1987
- Los Angeles Times (historical), 1881-1985
- New York Times (historical), 1857-2003
- San Francisco Chronicle (historical), 1865-1922
- Washington Post (historical), 1877-1994
General Research Tips
Try more than one search strategy
Think of synonyms
Use a variety of sources, databases
Use credible sources
Connect from Home
You can access Library resources from off campus using either the Web or Client VPN service.
More info on how to connect