- Laptop/netbook checkouts round to the nearest 2 hrs. Laptops/netbooks checked out 30 minutes after the hour will round up, and laptops/netbooks checked out 30 minutes before the hour will round down.
- Laptops/netbooks must be returned 30 minutes before closing of the Circulation/Reserve Desk and may not be borrowed overnight.
Checking Out and Renewals
- Users must have a current UCR Card or Library card, and must sign the Laptop/Netbook User Contract.
- Laptops and netbooks are for Library use only.
- Laptops/netbooks are loaned on a first-come, first-served basis and may not be reserved in advance. However, if they are all checked out, a hold may be placed on the next available one.
- Laptops/netbooks may not be borrowed overnight. Laptop/netbook borrowing ceases 30 minutes prior to the scheduled Circulation/Reserve Desk closing time.
- Laptops/netbooks may be renewed if there are no other users waiting. In order to renew, you must bring the laptop or netbook with all peripherals and accessories to the Circulation/Reserve Desk prior to the due time.
- Equipment malfunctions or failures, loss or damage must be reported immediately upon discovery to the Circulation/Reserve Desk.
- When the laptop/netbook is returned, Library staff will ensure equipment and peripherals are undamaged and in good working order.
- The laptop/netbook and all peripherals must be handed to the Circulation/Reserve Desk Staff. Users should allow up to 10 minutes for the staff member to check in and verify the equipment upon return.
- Failure to return the laptop/netbook on time will result in overdue fines; If the equipment is damaged or lost while on loan, the user will incur charges based on the Laptop/Netbook Damage Rate Chart.
Laptops and netbooks that are returned late are assessed overdue charges of $14 for the first hour or any portion thereof and $10 for each additional hour or portion thereafter. A maximum of $2000 is assessed if the laptop/netbook is not returned. Damage caused by general wear-and-tear will not be charged to the user; however damage incurred from negligence or abuse will result in charges based on the Laptop/Netbook Damage Rate Chart.
Saving and Printing Your Work
Files cannot be saved to the hard drive. To save your work, use a USB key/flash drive; you can purchase one in the vending machines in the Rivera or Orbach Science Libraries. External floppy disk drives are available for checkout at the Circulation/Reserve Desk of the Rivera or Orbach Science Libraries. Save your data often. At this time, printing is not available from the laptops/netbooks.
If you have any questions or need technical assistance, please contact the Circulation/Reserve Desk who will help or refer.
Laptop/Netbook Damage Rate Chart
The following chart outlines some common damages and their corresponding charges. General wear-and-tear kinds of deterioration will not be charged to the user, only damages incurred from negligence or abuse. Damage costs will be discussed with the student/user prior to charging his or her account. Please report problems with the laptop/netbooks or peripherals to the Circulation/Reserve Desk immediately upon discovery.
|DAMAGE||CHARGE TO USER|
|Heavily damaged.||Approximately $1800 - $2000 based on current market cost.|
|Failure to return.||Approximately $1800 - $2000 based on current market cost.|
|Intentional vandalism (i.e.scratching or inking text or pictures or other malicious damage).||Approximately $1800 - $2000 based on current market cost.|
|Display hinge broken or inoperable.||$100 - $500 based on severity.|
|Major dents, cracks or scratches that impair operation.||$100 - $500 based on severity.|
|Missing/broken wireless module.||$120|
|Missing/broken DVD Drive.||Current Market Value (between $100-$125)|
|Missing/broken power cord or A/C adapter.||$40|
|Broken USB, Network, PS/ or S-Video Port.||$200 - $700 depending on severity and whether the entire motherboard has to be replaced.|
|Missing or broken keys. Liquid, food or gum on the keyboard, touchpad, or case.||$10 - $200 depending on severity (replacement of parts).|
|Missing carrying case.||$60|