What is a VPN?
A VPN connects your computer (AnyConnect), browsers (Smart Tunnel), or browser (WebVPN) to the campus network. You will then appear to be on the campus and get access to the resources we have available on campus.
Why Would I use a Virtual Private Network (VPN)?
To access library resources from off campus.
How do I know if I need the WebVPN or the AnyConnect Client VPN?
If you plan on doing a lot of library research from home, the AnyConnect Client VPN will be a good investment of your time. It requires a quick download to your computer but is easy to start up whenever you need to do research. If you are an occasional user and/or cannot download software to the computer you are using, Smart Tunnel may work for you. WebVPN is the method of last resort.
If you are using the following WebVPN Incompatible resources, we recommend AnyConnect or Smart Tunnel:
- All ProQuest resources: AGRICOLA, American Periodicals, ARTbibliographies Modern (ABM), Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals, BioOne Abstracts & Indexes, Dissertations & Theses @ University of California, Earthquake Engineering Abstracts, EconLit, ERIC, Ethnic NewsWatch, GenderWatch, GeoRef, Index Islamicus, International Bibliography of Art (IBA), Linguistics and Language Behavior Abstracts (LLBA), Los Angeles Times, MLA International Bibliography, New York Times, PAIS International, Philosopher's Index, PILOTS: Published International Literature on Traumatic Stress, ProQuest Distertations & Theses A&I, ProQuest Historical Newspapers, PsycARTICLES, PsycINFO, Social Services Abstracts, Sociological Abstracts, The Wall Street Journal, Water Resources Abstracts, and Worldwide Political Science Abstracts.
- ARTstor - Contact the Art History Librarian or a staff member of the Visual Resources Collection for assistance.
- SciFinder Scholar - Because it does not use a Web Browser, it will not work with WebVPN
- CrossFire Beilstein/Gmelin - Because it does not use a Web Browser, it will not work with WebVPN
- Luna Image Databases - Searching works fine, but selection is a problem
- Naxos Music Libraries - Does not work with Internet Explorer, works fine with Firefox
- Science of Synthesis
- Materials Research Society journals
Also, if you use EndNote to connect directly to databases, you will need to use the AnyConnect VPN. If you find other problems, please let us know. We made an attempt to test all of the resources, but it is difficult to guess where the problems might be.
What should I do if it doesn't work?
AnyConnect Client VPN.
If you experience problems with AnyConnect Client VPN:
If you experience problems with WebVPN:
Still having Problems?
If you need further assistance, please contact Computing and Communications.
Staff and Faculty Help Desk
Telephone: 951-827-3555 (8-5 M-F, Leave a message if they do not answer)
Student Help Desk
Telephone: 951-827-6495 (8-10 M-TH, 8-5 Fri, and Noon to 5pm Sat and Sun)