Annual Report for 2004-2005
Daniel Goldstein, chair
Judith Hershman, UCLA, the longstanding chair of this group retired in 2004. We miss her leadership. In Fall, 2004, Daniel Goldstein, agreed to chair the Group. He is being succeeded by Ellen Corrigan, effective Fall, 2005.
There is significant turnover among Art librarians in the system. In addition to Judy Hershman, the other UCLA Art librarian has also left and UCI’s Rina Vecchiola has departed—we look forward to meeting their replacements. Krista Ivy has assumed responsibility for Art at UCR as of July 1, 2005.
The group engaged in two main activities this year.
1. It evaluated the database ARTstor and submitted a report assessing the database and addressing the collection development issues it raises to the CDC in December, 2004.
2. It held a 3-day
meeting in July 2005 in
The outcomes of this meeting included the following:
1. Commitment to meet annually in the Spring.
2. Ellen Corrigan, UCSB has agreed to chair the group, effective Fall, 2005.
3. Commitment to build a new web page for the group.
4. Decision to evaluate the CSA interfaces to 3 Art Databases and report our conclusions and make recommendations about them to CDC in Fall, 2005.
5. Identification of three potential shared collection project on which to collaborate with Joan Ariel and the Shared Print Collections Program.
6. Decision not to undertake a last copy journal project at this time. We will continue to consult and attempt to coordinate our decisions when it is necessary to cancel journal subscriptions.
7. Comparison and evaluation of three image presentation software options. Those provided by ARTstor, LunaInsight, and Almagest.
8. Significant enhancement of the group’s understanding of the issues associated with and implications of the UC Image Service as they pertain to UC Art Librarians.
9. Addition of Emily Lin as our first UCM member.
10. Commitment to continue to work closely with the visual resources personnel.
11. Review and determination of status of previous initiatives.
12. Discussion and comparison of different art approval/gathering plans.
Members of the group serving as resource liaisons this past year include:
Susan Moon Art Full Text and Art Index Retrospective
Susan Koskinen Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals
Christine Bunting Bibliography of the History of Art
Christine Bunting Harthill Photo Collection
Christine Bunting Index to Nineteenth Century Art Periodicals
Daniel Goldstein Project Muse
Christine Bunting Saskia
Christine Bunting SCIPIO
Tier Two Contact People
Ellen Corrigan ArtBibliographies Modern
Judith Herschman Index to Christian Art
Judith Herschman Grove Dictionary of Art
Changes in Resource Liaisons/Contacts:
1) Christine Bunting is no longer serving as liaison to the Luna/Insight hosted databases as CDL no longer requires liaisons for them.
2) The Group has nominated Krista Ivy to take over resource contact responsibility for ArtBibliographies Modern.
3) New contact people are needed for the Grove Dictionary of Art and the Index to Christian Art as Judith Herschman has retired.
4) Susan Moon is stepping down as liaison to Art-Full Text/Art Index.
Three members of the Group--Goldstein, Moon, and Lin--serve as their campuses representatives on the Image Services Rollout and Advisory Committee which reports to HOPS.