GARLIC minutes 2/94

MINUTES OF UC/STANFORD ART & ARCHITECTURE LIBRARIANS
GROUP, 6/17/94


Present: A. Gilbert (UCB), E. Byrne (UCB), K. Wayne (UCB), J. Kimball
(UCD), L. Tanji (UCI), Ray Reece (UCLA), D. Vierich (UCR), L. Korenic
(UCSB), S. Bentley (CDC liaison, UCSB), C. Bunting (UCSC), L. Abrams
(UCSD), S. Jurist (UCSD).

1. THANKS & WELCOME. First thanks to Ann Gilbert (UCB) for hosting
the meeting and choosing such appropriate sites--the UCB Art Museum
and the Women's Faculty Club, by architect John Galen Howard. We
really appreciate the arrangements you made for the delicious
refreshments & the delicious lunch. A warm welcome to several new
members and first-time attendees to the meeting: Peter Blank
(Stanford), Jane Kimball (UCD), Dick Vierich (UCR), and Kathryn Wayne
(UCB).

2. NEWS FROM EACH CAMPUS.

UCB

Ann Gilbert reported UCB Art History has purchased the Museum of
Modern Art--Artists File (microfiche set), available in the reference room--
she'll be happy to look up information from this set, if others need it.
[NOTE: UCSB has the complementary Museum of Modern Art--Artists
Scrapbooks microfiche set.]

The Main Library card catalog is in a Richmond storage area. The main
stack area will close permanently as soon as material in the current
stacks are moved into the new underground stacks. The GLADIS online
system will continue--a decision on another OPAC has been deferred to
the future. Ann has several duplicate AECs that she will make available
on our listserv around September. UCB has not cancelled its printed
version of Artbibliographies modern. UCB's main reference collection is
getting the Dictionary of Art.

Elizabeth Byrne reported that the Environmental Design Library, so far for
94/95, received a 3% cut overall; no cut to serials. An RFP for an RLG
preservation grant proposal on architecture history is due August 15.
There are plans to create a Northern California Architecture Database
with the help of UCB's Museum Informatics Project. It will contain
images & text of architecture for Northern California and will probably
branch out to other UC campuses & their regions and other relevant
collections in the area. Some GSLIS students created prototypes for the
database last year, but now they are exploring mounting it on the World-
Wide Web. On a personal note, Elizabeth is busy with the UCB
University Librarian interviews, chairing the LAUC-B division, chairing the
Council for Planning Librarians (which is working with the planning
accreditation board to create guidelines for accrediting planning libraries),
and participating in the Omega Project (identifying which positions need
to be filled and investigating the possibility of shared positions among
nearby campuses; e.g. Scandinavian Languages Cataloger--having
someone work part-time among various institutions).

Kathryn Wayne reported that the Environmental Design Library will be
purchasing the Dictionary of Art this year. They will also purchase the
Getty's cd-rom of Frank Lloyd Wright's drawings (approx. $1,000).
They are considering what to do with the print versions of Avery & Art
Index. They are contemplating getting the Avery cd-rom since there are
only 9 passwords systemwide to Eureka, and they have a high user
demand for Avery. They are not going to have a serials cancellation this
year. While UCB has lost several faculty due to VERIP, several UCSD
architecture faculty have transferred to UCB.

On a personal note, Kathryn is working on a book, Information Sources
for Architectural Practice, soon to be published by Omni Graphics. She
has also presented extensive BI to architecture students--holds office
hours, receives email queries, and offers personal consulting services--in
all, a great success. It is hoped that BI will become a requirement to the
design program.


CDC
Stella Bentley announced that some campuses are going to commit
funds for another round of Mini-SCAP grants for Fall '94. She suggested
that we write a grant to continue the AEC project another year. Also,
new guidelines re cooperative collection development/resource sharing
will be forthcoming from CDC soon. In the meantime, Lorelei will
distribute the old guidelines to some of the newer members of this group
for background information.

UCSB
Lyn Korenic reported that UCSB is losing 3 studio art & 3 art history
faculty, but they do have hiring opportunities for Northern Renaissance
and Chinese architecture. They have Artbibliographies modern on cd-
rom and are developing a cheat sheet [various members of the group
expressed interest in sharing cheat sheets on the different cd-rom
products.]

They also have a subscription to Dyabola, cd-rom of the Deutsches
archeologisches Institut catalogue--good for ancient art/history, early
Christianity, Byzantine, etc.

UCSB received an art exhibition catalog collection from Melinda Wortz
(former UCI faculty; her daughter is a UCSB alumna). UCSB will also be
doing a serials cancellation of around 10-12% this upcoming year. Their
bibliographers have formed various collection development groups. The
Arts Library will remove its card catalog this summer. On a personal
note, Lyn has been accepted to the Ph.D. program in art history, starting
this Fall--congratulations Lyn!

UCD

Jane Kimball reported that the art history department is down to 2
faculty, while the Art Studio department is heavily into computer art.
Bonnie Holt (LA IV), who works for the art department library, has
adapted an image search software for nematodes to the area of art--she
has been asked to be a speaker to many conferences re this innovative
search system.

There was no serials cancellation this year. The campus administration
in recognition of the need for serials gave the UCD libraries extra money
to support these materials.

STANFORD
Peter Blank reported that Green Library has started reconstruction (due
to earthquake) and will be completed by 1998. Stanford Art Museum
has received funds to reconstruct and expand. Stanford's Art
Department has received a 3.7 million gift in the area of American Art
Studies. They will be hiring a junior and senior faculty member. Peter
will let us know how this will affect collection development, but there is
a strong possibility that the library will collect extensively in
outsider/folk/naive art and other areas of American arts and material
culture.

Stanford is trying to lower its budget by $100,00 in terms of technical
services staff. They are closing out vacant positions. In addition,
current technical services staff will be relocated in a new building.

Alex Ross is very interested in creating an image database for the Arts
Library, as either a Photo-CD project or mounted on a central server for
the entire campus. Stanford has Artbibliographies modern and Art Index
on cd-rom already. Peter has developed user guides for these cd-roms
and for Historical Abstracts and America: History & Life. Peter is willing
to share cheat sheets. They are using OCLC/Firstsearch and are
considering cancelling the print version of Avery since it is on Eureka.
The Art Library records are being transferred to the NOTIS system.

Peter also reminded us about the ARLIS/NA H.W. Wilson Research
Grants that are available. He has application forms. There is $2,000 for
each of the next 3 years. The deadline is September 5th, and the
notification will be around November 30--announced at the ARLIS/NA
conference.


UCR
Dick Vierich reported that the art history department is
reevaluating/reorganizing themselves, and has postponed accreditation
of their graduate program a year. A few faculty have taken VERIP. The
Studio Art program is flourishing. The Museum of Photography is doing
well.

UCSC
Christine Bunting reported that the art history department, due to an
external review, may be transferred to the Humanities division. The
administration decided not to merge art history with studio art. They
have hired 2 new faculty for computer art. There are vacancies for
bibliographers: Humanities/Literature, Sciences, Media Development (cd-
roms, laserdisks, w/ possibly music selector responsibilities). UCSC
ordered Dictionary of Art this year to get the $2,000 break. Ordered
ULAN. Kept printed version of Art Index. She also queried people re the
Computer Interchange of Museum Information (CIMI)--it appears only
UCB Museum of Paleontology may have joined so far.

UCSD
Susan Jurist reported that there were some difficulties regarding certain
art history faculty getting tenure. Visual Arts lost several faculty
positions due to VERIP. They seem to be replacing them with computer
art people. UCSD will cancel Artbibliographies modern print version,
since they have the cd-rom on a stand-alone workstation. Susan sends
the old cd-roms of Art Index to Central Reference so that they can run
Art Index on a cd-rom workstation too. She plans to cancel the print
version of Art Index.

Leslie Abrams reported that the first year of full operation at the new Art
& Architecture Library has been a success. The new service desk is very
busy, at least 6,000 transactions. They have received many new users
from other departments on campus, partially due to the increased
visibility of being located in The University Library complex. The A&A
Library has undergone two reorganizations. The Slide unit has fully
merged with the A&A Library. In terms of technology, the library is well
equipped with: 2 laserdisk players, a Mac for public use (including access
to the Internet via Mosaic), cd-roms (Artbibliographies modern, Art
Index), and they also hope to provide a color flat-bed scanner (approx
$800) for free use to users. Format is not a problem at this library.
They have also assisted their primary clientele in such innovations as
helping a graduate art student mount her work on the Internet for
prospective employers to view, as an alternative to sending slides.

UCSD is also looking into the feasibility of transferring their slide
database information into MARC version, using Innopac to provide
linkage to a image database. One of Innovative's big challenges will be
generating labels. UCSD is buying the Dictionary of Art. The University
Librarian now administers the library, media center, and academic
computing. Due to this connection, there will be a unit named "Media
Central" within the library, which will provide consultants to assist
faculty in multimedia curriculum development (scanners/slides/authoring
software).

UCLA
Ray Reece reported that the Arts Library holdings are computerized and
the shelf list was scrapped. Due to the renovation after the earthquake,
the library lost some shelf space (aisles needed to be wider to conform
to ADA), and decided to create more study space for their users. All of
their bound, pre-1980 serials (with the exception of TV Guide) were sent
to SRLF. More volumes may soon be moved to SRLF. They are also
creating a computer corner in the library to provide access to cd-roms
(Art Index, Artbibliographies modern) and to a future stand-alone,
interactive image workstation. In the future, the Music and Arts units
will merge and be relocated to a new building.

The Arts Library has cancelled the print version of Art Index. They are
buying the Dictionary of Art in 1994. The color printer is a great
success (Cannon 300)--the library is charging $1/copy for 8-1/2" x 11",
a bit more for 11"x17". The library has created many more finding aids
to direct users, when reference service is not available. The Library has
purchased the rest of the Marburger Index--they now have the complete
set!

Henry Hopkins, Chair of Art, is relocating to Armand Hammer Museum
Building. The Wight Gallery is closing and the gallery staff are
relocating to the Hammer building also. The Codex Hammer is being
sold. By the way, the Sculpture faculty have their own library and are
buying artists videos.

Judith Herschman's position was eliminated at the Fowler Museum and
she is applying for other position openings on campus. On a happier
note, the Arts Library received an Incentive Award for their teamwork in
restoring order after the chaos of the earthquake. The University
Librarian submitted funds so that librarians, as well as staff, received
financial incentive awards. The UCLA Libraries have also been providing
borrowing privileges to CSU Northridge students due to the earthquake.

UCI
Lorelei Tanji reported on the OR&DP (reorganization of the management
structure in the UCI libraries), and the campus taskforce report that
reviewed the structure of departments and schools as an aim to
consolidation/elimination/streamlining. The taskforce recommended
linking the art history and film studies departments together to form a
visual arts department, but the task force report has not been officially
approved. The UCI Art History Department had an unsuccessful
recruitment for a Japanese art historian and may try again next year.
The Studio Art Department has recruited for more faculty in computer art
and is developing a computer art lab. The Dean of the School of Fine
Arts has VERIP'd and the Associate Dean is leaving for another job. UCI
will purchase Dictionary of Art this year and does not have any of the art
cd-roms (though they do have America: History & Life). The library
received an instructional development grant of $5,000 to acquire cultural
diversity materials to enhance the fine arts departments. Funded by a
LAUC grant, Lorelei will be creating a London archive research guide for
the Internet using Mosaic software.

3. SERIALS PROJECT

The master list of journal titles based on Art Index, Artbibliographies
Modern, Avery, and BHA was distributed at the meeting. Campuses
were requested to compare this to their list of current periodicals
subscriptions (periodicals not monographic series). Any changes
(additions, deletions) should be marked on these lists and should be
submitted to Ray Reece (UCLA) [yes, this is different from what was
said at the meeting]. The deadline for submitting these corrected master
lists to Ray is DECEMBER 1, 1994.

Since the master list is on dBase, Ray will be able to quickly sort these
into a list of titles owned by four or fewer campuses--this will be the
project list. The memorandum of agreement will apply to various titles
on this project list. Note that not all of the titles on the project list will
be part of the agreement--some titles will be determined as "not
important to keep within the system" and campuses will not be required
to take responsibility for those. As the coordinator for this project, Ray
will facilitate this process.

The group looked over the memorandum of agreement and various
editorial modifications were suggested. Ray will incorporate these
comments and distribute another draft of the memorandum for the group
to view.

E. Byrne had three good questions:
a) Are electronic journals included in the master list and how will they be
handled in terms of the memorandum? S. Bentley suggested that our
group address the electronic serials topic at a future date--as other
groups will be grappling with this same question. If needed an
addendum to the memorandum is always possible to cover electronic
journals.
b) Does the master list include titles from Architectural Periodicals Index?
The group decided that adding the API titles to the master list could be
accomplished at a future date. Major architecture titles will overlap with
Avery.
c) Does the agreement cover preservation issues? This was also
designated as a future agenda topic.

S. Bentley pointed out that Technical Services needs to be informed of
these memorandum of agreements, so that they are aware of the priority
to catalog titles that fall under cooperative agreements. The CDOs will
make an effort to distribute the agreements to their technical services
counterparts.

Another area of concern was titles that are not "housed" in branch
libraries or that are outside the area of responsibility for certain group
members. Archaeology was used as an example, some members of our
group have responsibility for this discipline and others do not; some
sources are housed in art/architecture libraries and others are housed in
general libraries. It was agreed that UC/SART members for each campus
will act as local liaisons for the group and will consult and inform the
appropriate bibliographers/selectors at their campuses about titles that
are identified as of interest to the UC/SART group.

As another future agenda topic, the serials project may help us pinpoint
some important titles that are not in the system and it may also help us
identify endangered titles (incomplete runs). There is a possibility of
addressing these two issues in a separate document and writing a grant
to fill in those gaps.

Re equity of responsibility for serials, it was pointed out that there is
some balancing going on already systemwide. For example, UCLA
subscribes to approximately 1500 serials, while UCSB with a comparable
or larger program subscribes to far fewer. Instead, UCSB directs more of
its funds towards acquiring AECs. While in sheer numbers the larger
campuses will probably end up taking more responsibility for serials titles
covered by the memorandum of agreement, the project coordinator will
make every effort to accommodate each campuses' preferences and
limitations regarding commitment level.

It was pointed out that a UC/Stanford group for film/tv is already
established, though it is not very active as yet, and that there have also
been nascent efforts to form a theater consortium in the past (via Phil
Smith-UCSD, who recently took VERIP), so that the memorandum of
agreement will remain limited to "art and architecture".

4. AEC PROJECT

Lyn reported that the project has gone very well, and that there is only
$200-300 left to spend. In evaluating the items we acquired, there was
good representation of Latin American and Women AECs. If we should
receive a future Mini-SCAP grant to continue this project, she suggests
that we try to include more African American, Outsider Art, and
Gay/Lesbian AECS. Peter Blank mentioned that Stanford may collect
extensively in outsider art in the future, due to the large gift the art
history department received for American Art studies. He will keep us
posted. For this reason, he volunteered to post an ARLIS-L message
asking for museum exhibitions/galleries that specialize in outsider art--
with this list he/we can contact them for additional AECs. [Note: If
Stanford decides to purchase comprehensively in this area, these items
might not quality for the Mini-SCAP--usually limited to unique items not
already owned in the system.] In the same vein, Lyn Korenic
volunteered to try and compile a list of African American
galleries/museum exhibitions for potential AECs and Ray Reece
volunteered to try and get together a similar list for Gay/Lesbian
galleries/museum exhibitions.

It was suggested that we add the final list of AEC acquisitions from the
Mini-SCAP grant to the UC/SART final report to CDC.

An announcement re the next Mini-SCAP grant (call for proposals) will
occur around August/September. As the coordinator, Ray will submit
the grant proposal on behalf of our group.

5. LUNCH WITH VISUAL RESOURCES MANAGERS COUNCIL

At the Women's Faculty Club, we met for lunch with the UC/Stanford
VR Mgr Council, where the VR group emphasized their interest in
acquiring the index volumes of DICTIONARY OF ART separately, if the
publishers allow it. Lorelei has expressed this to the marketing director,
but we need to touch base again to see if the London office has made
any decision: Karin Agosta, Director of Marketing/NA, Grove's
Dictionaries, Inc, 150 Fifth Ave., Suite 916, New York, NY 10011, tel:
212/647-0182; fax 212/647-0290. The VR group is also discussing
standards and digitization projects, which is of mutual interest to the
UC/SART group. It was very enjoyable meeting together for lunch and
we all hope to meet again at the next meeting.

6. CATALOGUE RAISONNE PROJECT
Because CRs are not always cataloged with the subject heading
"catalogue raisonne" and not all items with this subject heading are true
CRs, there was agreement that we need to come up with a definition
that we can use for this project.

The goals of this project seem to be:
1) As a reference tool, a list of CRs we own systemwide would be
helpful.
2) Using the listserv, we can voluntarily indicate which expensive CRs
we are purchasing (expensive will be defined as $350 or more).
Campuses will then be in an informed position on whether to duplicate
or not--possible cost savings for some campuses.
3) As a collection development tool, a list would help us identify CRs
not owned in the UC system--gaps that we could fill. Note: it was
agreed that looking comprehensively at CRs might be too ambitious and
that our first objective will be to concentrate on what is owned at
UC/Stanford campuses.

Some strategies discussed:
-Ray mentioned how he adds a mnemonic in the 905 field to ORION
records to tag these items for his local OPAC.
-Someone else pointed out the need for better LC standards.
-The possibility of creating a list of CRs and doing a global change on
MELVYL records was discussed (addition of subject heading catalogue
raisonne).
-The end result is that we volunteered Susan Jurist (member of HOTS)
to investigate the best course to take with regard to cataloging &
revising records. Someone mentioned that we could begin a list of CRs
starting today and Christine Bunting volunteered to enter the data--
however, we ultimately decided to wait until we hear back from Susan
about the feasibility of global MELVYL changes to selected records and
any other methodologies for approaching this issue. We will also
continue discussion on the listserv.


7. OTHER DISCUSSION
-Dick raised a question re the membership of the group, specifically
querying the lack of USC's involvement. Stella gave us some
background information about the composition of the CDC. While USC
is not an official partner, there is nothing to prevent us from inviting
guests--a precedent has been established with the U.S. History/Women's
Studies group.

-The next meeting will be in Montreal at the ARLIS/NA conference. The
June meeting will be at one of the Southern campuses--date/location to
be determined.

-The new coordinator for the next 2 years is Ray Reece (UCLA)!
Last modified: 1/27/2006 11:15 AM by by K. Ivy