GARLIC minutes 10/96

UC/Stanford+ (GARLIC) Art Librarians Group

Minutes of 10/18/96 meeting at UCSD

 

 

Present: Leslie Abrams (UCSD); Christine Bunting (UCSC); Elizabeth Byrne (UCB); Susan Jurist (UCSD); Jane Kimball (UCD); Lyn Korenic (UCSB); Kathryn Wayne (UCB); Al Willis (UCLA); Amy Ciccone (USC); Stella Bentley (CDC Liaison).

 

1. Introduction: As Coordinator of the group, Lyn welcomed everyone to UCSD and thanked Leslie Abrams and Susan Jurist for hosting the meeting. Brief introductions were made. Lyn mentioned the need to consider the membership and name of the group, i.e., should all slide curators be added to our roster, should we change our name to GARLIC, issues which were discussed later in the day with these results: all slide curators will be added to our roster, we will change our name to GARLIC (Gallery of Art Research Libraries in California) and the name of our listserv to garlic-l. Looking ahead, Lyn will try to arrange for a room for us to convene in during the San Antonio ARLIS/NA meeting next April.

 

2. CDC Business: Stella briefly discussed CDC issues and the various questions distributed earlier on the future of consortial groups and resource sharing. A key question was posed: is resource sharing important? Clint Howard will revise the guidelines for the groups, indicating expectations. These guidelines will be discussed at the spring CDC meeting. Each group will need to send to the CDC a list of their accomplishments and challenges (deadline: early April). Lyn agreed to draft this for the group. Stella mentioned that no decision has been made re: future of mini-scap, but there will probably be a call for proposals, perhaps aimed at funding more expensive projects. Stella reminded us that groups such as ours were sanctioned groups of the CDC, not just ad-hoc groups. A discussion of the importance of resource sharing and our group ensued. Al mentioned that from his perspective UCLA was not gaining enough benefit for the time invested. Lyn noted the forward-thinking and risk-taking nature of the group throughout its history which has led to beneficial and cost-saving projects such as the auction and art exhibition catalog collections. Lyn also noted the beneficial exchange of duplicates within the group, not the least of which is the extraordinary gift of auction catalog duplicates from the Getty. Susan mentioned the intangible benefits gained in terms of public service help. As part of evaluating the importance of resource sharing, Elizabeth suggested we compile a list of all the disciplines we serve along with enrollment figures. Everyone agreed we are seeing heavier use of our collections by non-art faculty and other clientele. Both Al and Amy saw a need for improvements in ILL, particularly turn-around time. Al also mentioned challenges at UCLA that impact resource sharing such as catalog backlogs, higher portions of the collection in SRLF, fewer acquisitions, reduction of gifts, and inability to retain artist vertical files.

 

3. Other: Elizabeth distributed a handout--"A Library Planning and Action Initiative"--which considers the UC Library system as a whole (reinforcing the one library concept) in planning for the future and dealing with current budget constraints. Al mentioned that UCLA is considering responsibility-centered budgeting where money is distributed at the Dean's level to individual departments who would then allocate (or not) money to the library. Amy mentioned that USC already uses this model and noted that some schools/departments allocate additional monies for increased library hours. Amy noted that this arrangement defines library/faculty relations differently.

 

4. Serials Cancellation Task Force (Lorelei/chair, Al, Elizabeth): A recommendation to rethink this project came from the task force. Instead of utilizing the periodical indexes to check our holdings and generate lists, it was suggested to start with what we actually own. It was felt that we need to build on cooperative collection develoment efforts and perhaps concentrate on what we don't own. Elizabeth mentioned the technique of use studies to determine which periodicals are more heavily used, but also noted that this does not reveal who's using them (and as Elizabeth and others pointed out earlier, we serve an increasingly greater non-art clientele). Lyn mentioned that the Music Group was further along on a similar project and were encountering commitments that could not be met. Also, this kind of project is labor-intensive. The group also noted the need to address the issue of electronic serials and to improve ILL, for example the poor quality of illustrations that photocopy/fax provides (the web environment may change this). Unfortunately, time did not allow further discussion of this project and still to be considered is whether we should continue with this project, and if so, which campuses/institutions want to be involved.

 

5. Catalogue Raisonne Task Force (Leslie/chair, Lyn, Susan Lentz): Leslie distributed a handout on this topic. She passed around for our review an impressive notebook compiled by Ray Reece (UCLA) of approximately 800 catalogues raisonnes tagged in the ORION catalog. Al noted that with the replacement for ORION expected January 1998, some tagged information will be lost, thus work on this project has stopped. It was suggested taht we might seek a LAUC grant or ARLIS/NA Research grant to transfer this data to MELVYL. The group felt it was better to add this type of data to the bibliographic record rather than compile a separate union list of catalogues raisonnes on the web. Other discussion centered on identifying catalogues raisonnes through dealer catalogs (Ars Libri, Ursus, Wittenborn) and investigating whether a list of CRs belonging to the NGA and MOMA could be generated.

 

6. Electronic Resources Task Force (Elizabeth/chair, Christine, Susan Jurist): Most of the discussion centered on desired enhancements to Art Index Z39.50 on MELVYL. Prior to our meeting, the task force conducted a survey of the group to gather information on number/format of periodical index subscriptions, needed improvements to Art Index Z39.50, comments regarding other electronic resources, and number of primary patrons. It was noted that we are limited by the First Search interface, however, it was pointed out that Socrates (Stanford) has been able to make some of the improvements we desire. It was noted that the web (Citadel) version will be available soon and that a password would be needed. Other databases desired on MELVYL include BHA, ABM (Artbibliographies Modern), and ADI (Art & Design Index). Again, the topic of improved ILL was raised. Christine brought up the issue of mounting URLs on our local databases. Susan Jurist prefers not to put links to e-journals on GARLIC because of the necessity to monitor changes. She prefers that each cataloging dept. do it, but we can also send Susan the title and URL and she'll submit it at UCSD. Susan also mentioned her additions to the GARLIC web site and her call for additions.

 

7. Joint Session with Sliders (Maryly Snow, UCB; Madelyn Millen, UCR; Maureen Burns, UCI; Lynn Beck, UCI; Vicki O'Riordan, UCSD): After a joint luncheon, the bookers and sliders met to discuss joint technology issues, responsibility for collecting image products, and ways to cooperate. Amy distributed web addresses (along with passwords) for two USC courses and other useful sites as well as copies of the Oct. 14, 1996 issue of USC's Chronicle featuring an article on utilizing the web as a teaching tool. Maryly distributed copies of a flyer announcing the Image Directory project of Academic Press (Christine Sundt, chief consultant), an image equivalent of Books in Print. Maryly also mentioned that she is working with UC regarding the insurance evaluation of slide collections. She is working to raise the replacement coverage for individual slides from $5 to $12. The Dictionary of Art was discussed, specifically the desire to be able to purchase the index separately. Visual resources collections would greatly benefit from having the index for authority work. Lyn and Maryly agreed to jointly draft a letter to Macmillan on behalf of our groups. It was also suggested that we might communicate with the Getty re: additional interfaces to their databases, for example a MAC version of the AAT. Maryly raised the topic of rights for digital imaging and suggested that we have input to the Library Planning and Action Initiative on this topic. Maryly and Susan Jurist agreed to jointly draft a letter to Gary Lawrence on behalf of our groups. Elizabeth offered to summarize relevant issues from the LAUC statewide assembly meeting. Responsibility for purchasing CD-ROMs was also discussed and found to vary from campus to campus (e.g., they are purchased by art libraries, art/art history departments, visual resources collections, media centers). Maryly doesn't support slide collections purchasing them since a CD-ROM of art images is no different from a book of art images. It was also noted that many non-art users (e.g., those in cognitive sciences, communications, various language depts.) are making heavy use of image CD-ROMs. Madelyn Millen, Maureen Burns, and Maryly Snow have applied for an IAPIF (Intercampus Academic Program Incentive Fund) grant to build an "Instructional Image Databank" of Greek and Roman Art and Architecture. The images would be scanned, cataloged, and shared among the three participating libraries. If funded, there is also a possibility that other slide collections could join the project and the information could be made systemwide.

 

8. Tour of UCSD Art & Architecture Library: Leslie and Susan gave us a wonderfully informative tour of their library resources and impressive facility. Susan demonstrated their digital slide reserves and provided us with passwords while Leslie and Susan shared information about their print and slide collections.

 

9. Collaborative Collection Development Task Force (Susan Jurist/chair, Lyn): The issue of contributing additional monies collectively as part of mini-scap or otherwise was discussed. Several campuses mentioned that they lack monies to contribute, however not all campuses would need to participate if some wanted to pursue this idea. An alternative suggestion to designate areas of collecting responsibility was well received, particularly if the areas were narrowly defined. Another suggestion was to contribute shared monies to add art databases to the web.

10. Auction Catalog Task Force (Lyn/chair, Amy, Dick): Lyn summarized the extraordinary gift of duplicate auction catalogs from the Getty to the UC system. Duplicates of duplicates are being sent to USC to make this material more widely available within GARLIC. Auctions on the topic of wine, books, cars, coins, and stamps will not be kept at UCSB. Individual campuses are checking on whether they would like them: wine (UCD); book (UCB or UCLA); coins (UCB-reponse: they have no interest); stamps (UCLA).

 

12. In closing, all thanked Leslie and Susan for their generosity and time in hosting our useful and informative GARLIC meeting.

Recorder:

 

Lyn Korenic

GARLIC, coordinator

Last modified: 1/27/2006 2:45 PM by by K. Ivy