The University of California geospatial community announced that the inaugural systemwide UC GIS Week conference will be held online from Nov. 17-19, 2020.
The event will be hosted virtually through Zoom. All talks are free and open to the public.
GIS Day provides an international forum for users of geographic information systems (GIS) technology to demonstrate real-world applications that are making a difference in our society. Rather than hold individual GIS Day events at each UC campus, this year it was decided to take advantage of our virtual environment and share geospatial expertise throughout the UC system in a three-day event.
Attending UC GIS Week is an opportunity for you to learn and engage with experts and mapping projects across the UC system and beyond. Ask questions during the thematic mapping panels, engage with GIS industry professionals, interact with poster presenters, and connect during social events.
Five UCR affiliates are among the presenters. On Wednesday, Nov. 18, Elia Scudiero from the US Salinity Laboratory will present on a panel while Andre Mere, graduate student in Earth and Planetary Sciences, will present a poster. On Thursday, Nov. 19, faculty members Nic Barth of Earth and Planetary Sciences and Ahmed Eldawy of Computer Science and Engineering will give lightning talks, and Psychology graduate student Emily Esposito will present on a panel.
Registration entitles you attend any or all of the tentatively scheduled events below (schedule subject to change):
Tuesday, Nov. 17
- 11 a.m. – 12 p.m.: Opening plenary – Collaboration Across the UCs
- 1 p.m. – 2 p.m.: Historical Geography | Policy Poster Session
- 3 p.m. – 4 p.m.: Risk Assessment Workshop | Career Panel #1
Wednesday, Nov. 18
- 11 a.m. – 12 p.m.: Natural Resources and Environmental Data | Mapping for Social Justice
- 1 p.m. – 2 p.m.: Public Health | Career Panel #2
- 3 p.m. – 4 p.m.: Mapping Policy - Lightning Talks | Environmental Science and Public Health Poster Session
Thursday, Nov. 19
- 11 .a.m – 12 p.m.: Environmental Science - Lightning Talks
- 1 p.m. – 2 p.m.: Social Geography and the Built Environment
- 3 p.m. – 4 p.m.: Marine Archaeology Workshop | Promoting Public Health
- 4 p.m. - 5 p.m. Celebratory Map up and Debrief
Register now to stay informed and get early access to the first UC GIS Week digital swag bag!
For questions about UC GIS Week, please email email@example.com.