Need a book for your research, but can't physically get it from the UCR Library buildings due to the COVID-19 closure?
We have a solution!
Now, UCR faculty, researchers and students can get many of the books they need online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service (ETAS), which grants lawful access to digital copies to over 50% of the physical books held by the UCR Library.
Even better, HathiTrust recently added access to digitized volumes from all libraries in the ten-campus University of California network, raising the total number of e-books available to UCR Library patrons to more than 10 million.
Through the HathiTrust ETAS, UCR faculty, staff, and students can:
- Read books owned by the UCR Library (or other UC campus libraries) online in a web browser. There is no option to download the work in full.
- "Check out” a copy for one hour, with an auto-renew feature for books still in active use (turning pages, clicking, or scrolling).
- Access items 1-1: One copy on the member library shelf, one individual access to the digital copy. Two copies, two concurrent users of the digital item.
How to access UCR print materials via HathiTrust
- Go to hathitrust.org and select the yellow “LOG IN” button.
- Select University of California, Riverside from the list of partner institutions. Select “Continue."
- You will arrive at UCR’s Central Authentication Service. Enter your UCR NetID and Password.
- When you have successfully logged in, you will be returned to the HathiTrust website.
Remember: The UCR Library staff are still available to answer questions and provide support! Review this new LibGuide on Expanded free access during the COVID-19 closure for more details. Visit our Ask a Librarian page if you need further assistance, after review.