Teach with Special Collections & University Archives.
Bring your students in for a hands-on, collections-based learning experience. Effective visits rely on small group analysis of just a few items.
Staff explain the research process and demonstrate search tools in your classroom.
Work with us to welcome your students to the Special Collections & University Archives reading room on their own time. Collections can be kept “on hold” for a defined amount of time, or students can submit their own requests.
Who We Serve
We welcome classes from UCR and beyond! We regularly provide instruction to students from other colleges / universities and from local K-12 schools. We can also provide hands-on learning experiences to groups of all ages through professional organizations, adult education courses, hobby/fan clubs, camps, community centers, and more.
- Instruction Requests must be submitted at least 2 weeks ahead of time.
- Class visits occur in a separate classroom space, not in the Special Collections & University Archives reading room.
- Confirmation of requested times depends on staff and space availability. Evening and weekend requests may be considered, but cannot be guaranteed.
- Instruction in Special Collections & University Archives is a collaborative process. Every class visit will be co-led by an Special Collections & University Archives librarian/archivist and the course instructor.
- Every instruction session received a standard 10 – 15 minute introduction that covers a department overview and proper care and handling. Everything students need to know for the class visit will be covered during this time by the Special Collections & University Archives staff member.
Class Visit Planning Process
- Requests are received
- Date/time is confirmed by the Special Collections & University Archives instruction coordinator
- Speak with an Special Collections & University Archives librarian/archivist to discuss goals
- Identify collections using the Special Collections Request System
- Set the agenda, including:
- Time breakdowns
- Who leads what
- Final document selection
- Stations/physical layout
- Hands-on activities and/or prompts
- Wrap up
What to Expect
While care and handling will be covered, instructors can help prepare for a visit to Special Collections & University Archives by encouraging students to:
- Login to the Special Collections Request System and create an account (UCR: use NetID and password)
- Bring a pencil and a camera (cellphones are OK)
- Finish all food, drinks, and gum before class starts
Rev. December 2015