Guidelines & General Information
Printing, scanning, copying to the large format plotter is limited to cartographic materials (i.e. Maps).
- The map needs to be a spatial representation of a geographical area.
- Map needs to be a minimum size of 8" x 8" (20 x 20 cm.)
- Logos are not considered maps.
- Map Collection staff reserves the right to not reproduce items based on copyright status, fragility or file size.
- Large format printing of non-cartographic material is available through the Printing and Reprographics department on campus.
All jobs must be started prior to 4:30 pm Monday - Friday. Large format printing is not available on the weekends. Print jobs are done on a first come first serve basis. The goal of the Map Collection is to fulfill the cartographic needs of researchers, students and the community.
Printing & Copying
Paper Type & Size Limitations
The plotter has two paper roll sizes to print on, 36" or 42" (approximately 90 or 100 cm.) So long as one side of the poster does not exceed 42" (100 cm) the job can be printed. Print jobs exceeding 6 ft /72 in / 180 cm will be charged an additional $5.00. Map Collection staff recommends that you take into account that the plotter will need 0.5" border on each side to print, or job will need to be scaled down to fit. The Map Collection only uses HP coated paper and HP ink cartridges.
File Types and Misc. Information
The computers in the Digital Map Room can support the following file formats: PDF (preferred), TIFF, JPG. Powerpoint and ArcGIS is also available on the computers.
- Only trained Map Collection staff may use the plotter.
- You will be asked to check over your file prior to sending job to the plotter.
- On average print jobs take approximately 30 minutes to print.
- Be aware that color matching between screen and print is not precise.
- Files must be print ready, Map Collection staff will not design, format, or edit your file in any way.
- If you discover any mistakes in your print job after printing you will still be responsible for the cost.
- No tubes are sold or provided by the Map Collection.
Maps not exceeding 42" (~100 cm) can be scanned at any resolution but the Map Collection does not recommend exceeding 600dpi. The scanner is a sheet fed scanner and can only scan individual sheets of paper that do not have a cover. Images can be saved as TIFF, JPG or PDF. Files can be burned to CD/DVD or saved to a flash drive. The Map Collection does not sell or provide CD/DVD's or flash drives.
Prices & Forms of Payment
To print, scan or copy is $5.00 per job. Print jobs exceeding 6 ft /72 in /180 cm will be charged an additional $5.00. A separate receipt will be created for each individual job. You can pay with Bear Bucks, Department Recharge (download dept. recharge form) or Cash/Coin. The machine only accepts 1, 5 or 10 dollar bills and no pennies.The money that we receive goes directly to paying for the materials, supplies and maintenance associated with the plotter.