The UCR Library collects resources in film, cultural studies and media studies, as well as related interdisciplinary subjects such as censorship and the history of visual culture. We offer subject-specific and general research educational services at the library and provide access to information that includes the entire UC Libraries System and beyond.
Books & Articles
Scholarly articles are carefully evaluated (peer-reviewed) by subject experts to provide reliable and credible information. Locate film and media studies articles by searching both the film and media studies databases. The most popular databases are listed on this page.
Many film and media journals are found electronically and can be browsed in the UC Journal finder. Use the UCR catalog, searching with material type set to "periodicals", to find journals that are available in the library.
Encyclopedias such as the Television: Critical Concepts in Media and Cultural Studies are useful for getting a broad overview of criticism, genres and concepts related to media studies.
Media Studies Quick Reference
- Censorship: A World Encyclopedia
- The Encyclopedia of Twentieth-Century Photography
- The Encyclopedia of Television
- Swingin' on the Ether Waves: A Chronological History of African Americans in Radio and Television Programming, 1925-1955
- Movies Made for Television, 1964-2004
- Encyclopedia of Children, Adolescents, and the Media
Film Quick Reference
- Film & Television: A Guide to the Reference Literature
- Schirmer Encyclopedia of Film
- Encyclopedia of the Documentary Film
- The Queer Encyclopedia of Film & Television
- The New Biographical Dictionary of Film
- The British Film Catalogue
- Halliwell’s Film Guide 2004
- 100 Years of American Film
- VideoHound’s Independent Film Guide